A man has been killed in a double stabbing in north London that has left another man in hospital.
The attack took place in Camden High Street at about 23:15 BST on Thursday.
A man, whose age has not been released, was found with a stab wound and given first aid but was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Met Police said a second man, in his mid-20s, was also found suffering from a stab wound and was taken to hospital. No arrests have been made.
An eyewitness said the fatally injured victim was attacked by a gang before his killer ran off to the Tube station.
His family have not yet been informed of his death and the second man is said to be in a stable condition, a Met spokesman said, as he issued an appeal for witnesses.
The scene has been cordoned off and the High Street has been closed to traffic.
A section 60 order, giving police additional stop and search powers, has been authorised for the London Borough of Camden until 14:30 on Friday.
Chief Supt Raj Kohli, from Camden Police, said: “We are taking action across the borough to keep everyone safe.”
He added: “I understand that a number of people believed to be known to the victim were present after the attack.
“I would urge them to come forward and speak to investigators as soon as possible with what they know and saw.”
The latest killing comes after a 24-year-old man was shot dead in nearby Kentish Town on Sunday night.
Less than a mile away on the same day, a 22-year-old woman died after being stabbed in unconnected incident.
British Airways says about 90% of services will run as normal on Wednesday as the airline recovers from a two-day strike by pilots.
However, BA said its full schedule would not be in place for “some time” as 150 aircraft and 700 pilots started the day “in the wrong place”.
BA cancelled almost all its flights on Monday and Tuesday in a dispute over pay and conditions.
Another strike by pilots is planned for later this month.
BA said on Wednesday: “The nature of our highly complex, global operation means that it will take some time to get back to a completely normal flight schedule however, we plan to fly more than 90% of our flights today.”
About half of the airline’s 300 aircraft are out of position. And in addition to pilots being in the wrong place, BA said there was severe disruption to rosters for its 4,000 cabin crew.
The airline is offering affected customers refunds or the option to re-book to another date of travel or an alternative airline.
Balpa said that the strikes had been a “powerful demonstration of the strength of feeling of BA pilots”.
Tens of thousands of flights had to be cancelled, costing BA an estimated £40m a day.
It called on the airline to come “back to the negotiating table with some meaningful proposals” to try to avert the next scheduled strike, on 27 September.
Balpa general secretary, Brian Strutton, said: “Surely any reasonable employer would listen to such a clear message, stop threatening and bullying, and start working towards finding a solution.”
Pilots had previously rejected an 11.5% pay increase over three years proposed by BA in July.
Balpa says its members have taken lower pay rises and made sacrifices during more stringent times for the airline in recent years.
But it says that now BA’s financial performance has improved – its parent company IAG reported a 9% rise in profits last year – they should see a greater share of the profits.
BA has said its pilots are already paid “world-class” salaries, and has described the pay offer as “fair and generous”.
After three years of the proposed pay deal, some captains could be taking home more than £200,000 per year, including allowances, it said.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
About 125 firefighters are tackling a major blaze at a block of flats in south-west London.
The fire quickly spread to all four floors of the building in Sherbrooke Way, Worcester Park, after fire crews were called just before 01:30 BST.
Some 20 fire engines were at the scene, the London Fire Brigade (LFB) said. The cause of the fire is not yet known and no injuries have been reported.
The fire was under control at 06:30 but crews will remain there during the day.
Dean Fowler, who lives with his family on the top floor of the building, said he was woken in the night by someone banging on his door.
“I then heard someone screaming ‘there’s a fire, get out’, and I just got my boys and went,” he said.
He said he had only been living in the building for three weeks and had lost “everything” in the blaze, but added: “we’re alive, we’re breathing, that’s all that matters”.
The building is made up of 23 flats and based in The Hamptons estate, an American-style complex made up of social and private housing which was built on a former sewage treatment works.
Residents from the block and surrounding buildings have been taken to a nearby community centre.
One of those, Darren Nicholson, said he woke up to the sound of “crackling” and when he opened the curtains he “saw the flames and got myself and the family out”.
He said fire alarms were going off in the community areas but not in his own flat and he believed the blaze began “on the balconies”.
You may also be interested in:
At the scene
Greg McKenzie, BBC Radio London correspondent
What was once a four-storey building is now just a shell.
You can hear the block falling apart and black and white smoke continues to billow from it.
The closest building, which has also been evacuated, is quite far away so it is not possible that the fire could spread.
However, the thick smoke is going into these houses and covering the entire block.
Residents from other parts of the estate have been bringing bags of clothing and bedding to the community centre to donate to those people who have lost everything.
Graham Adams, from London Fire Brigade, said: “This is a challenging fire and firefighters are working hard to bring the blaze under control.
“Firefighters will remain on scene for a number of hours and we would urge people to avoid the area if possible.”
London Ambulance Service said: “We have not treated any patients, however we remain on the scene as a precaution.”
Sutton Council said it had officers on the site who were “supporting anybody that needs help”.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
A man has been charged with the murder of a 15-year-old boy who was repeatedly stabbed in a north London street.
Perry Jordan Brammer, from Tottenham, was attacked on Willan Road on the Broadwater Farm estate on 30 August.
He was taken to hospital but died almost a week later.
Romario Lindo, 21, from Enfield, was charged with murder, robbery and possession of an offensive weapon on Saturday. He will appear Highbury Magistrates’ Court later.
Four people who were arrested over the stabbing have since been released and will face no further action.
Crime recorded on British railways increased by 12% last year including a rise in the number of violent and sexual offences, new figures show.
British Transport Police recorded 68,313 crimes in 2018/19, up from 60,867 during the previous 12 months.
Violent crime accounted for a fifth of all cases after a 16% rise to 13,591, while sexual offences rose by 8% over the same period to 2,635.
BTP said the figures show serious crime is rare across 3.3 billion journeys.
The latest figures show theft of passenger property was the most common offence recorded on the network – accounting for more than one in five (21%) crimes.
Police figures also show a number of other crimes increasing on the rail network, including:
- Possession of controlled drug (up 52% to 2,305)
- Theft from person (up 36% to 7,593)
- Theft from vehicle (up 26% to 823)
- Assault on police (up 17% to 750)
BTP noted that there was fewer than one serious crime per million passenger journeys in 2018/19.
The total number of all crimes recorded per million journeys made has fallen from 25.6 in 2009/10 to 20.8 in 2018/19.
Deputy chief constable Adrian Hanstock said that last year’s overall increase in crime was “of concern” but that “with record levels of passengers using the railway, we anticipated there could be a subsequent rise in crime”.
“As stations become increasingly commercial environments, a large proportion of this increase is as a result of theft of passenger property, anti-social behaviour or shoplifting,” he said.
“Despite this increase, when put into context, it is important to remember that the chance of becoming a victim of crime on the railway is very low.”
Railway stations with most thefts per passenger
Rate of thefts per 100,000 passengers in 2018-19
He added: “Of course, any rise in crime is of concern to us and we are tackling this head-on through our problem-solving initiatives at key locations.”
Susie Homan of the Rail Delivery Group, said the figures show “Britain’s railway remains one of the safest in the world”.
She added: “As an industry we are working with the BTP to return to a long-term trend of falling crime on the railway, by trialling and investing in new technology like body-worn cameras for staff and working with police to increase the reporting of crime.”
The figures do not cover Northern Ireland, as railway policing there is the responsibility of the PSNI.
A man has been charged with murdering a 39-year-old who was stabbed to death in south London.
Lee Casey was found with a stab wound on Brixton Hill at 12:07 BST on Thursday and died in hospital two hours later.
Levi Paschal, 33, of Brixton, is due to appear at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court later.
Mr Paschal has also been charged with attempted wounding with intent and conspiracy to rob.
Clementine Jones, 30, of Brixton, is also charged with conspiracy to rob and will appear at court later.
|US Open 2019|
|Venue: Flushing Meadows, New York Dates: 26 Aug – 8 Sep|
|Coverage: Live text and BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra commentary on selected matches on the BBC Sport website and app. Click here for Live Guide.|
British number one Johanna Konta says she has “grown as a player” since losing to Karolina Pliskova in May, as she prepares to face the Czech third seed in the US Open last 16 on Sunday.
The 27-year-old beat Konta in straight sets in the Italian Open final.
Konta, 28, has since reached the French Open semi-finals and made the last eight at Wimbledon, and has looked in good form so far at Flushing Meadows.
“I am looking forward to seeing how I can do a bit better,” Konta said.
The world number 16, who beat Chinese 33rd seed Zhang Shuai 6-2 6-3 in the last round, says she hopes to “ask some better questions this time around” against Pliskova.
They are second on Louis Armstrong Stadium with the match not expected to start before 17:30 BST.
“I like to think that I’ve grown as a player since Rome,” said Konta, who has dropped one set so far at this tournament.
“More than anything, it’s decision making and also probably in terms of when I play certain things or how I play certain things.
“I think just general awareness of being on court, just being aware of what my opponents are doing.”
She added: “I’m putting a lot of time and effort into being very open to the game when I’m out on court. I think that’s something that has been getting better for me.
“I feel like it’s enabled me to just play more relevant to the opponent that I have.”
Pliskova’s 6-3 6-4 victory in Rome was her sixth win in seven matches against Konta and earned her a 14th WTA singles title, compared with the Briton’s three.
However, the 2016 US Open champion was taken to three sets by Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur in the last round before coming through 6-1 4-6 6-4.
“She [Konta] has had a great year, as she did in 2017, although she had a tough one last year,” Pliskova said in her BBC Sport column.
“She can be a little bit up and down but of course she is a dangerous player.
“Johanna has a lot of weapons – a good serve, good groundstrokes – and is playing with more variety here. So it will be very difficult.”
The winner will face Ukraine’s fifth seed Elina Svitolina or American 2017 runner-up Madison Keys in the quarter-finals.
Federer, Djokovic and Williams in action
Also on Sunday, five-time champion Roger Federer and world number one Novak Djokovic are in action in the men’s draw, while Serena Williams continues to chase a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title in the women’s singles.
Swiss third seed Federer, 38, faces Belgian David Goffin after seeing off Britain’s Dan Evans in the third round and insisting he does not “call the shots” when it comes to scheduling.
That match will take place first on Arthur Ashe and will be followed by Williams against Croatia’s Petra Martic.
American eighth seed Williams, a six-time champion in New York, said she had “a lot of intensity” in her win over Czech Karolina Muchova in the third round.
Top seed Djokovic takes on Stan Wawrinka in a repeat of the 2016 final, when the Swiss beat Djokovic to claim the most recent of his three Grand Slams.
Meanwhile, Australia’s world number two Ashleigh Barty will play first on Louis Armstrong when she takes on Chinese 18th seed Wang Qiang.
Strike action has resumed on South Western Railway (SWR) as part of a long-running dispute over train guards.
SWR is cancelling 800 trains a day until the end of Monday – about half its services – following the walkout by National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) members.
The union accused SWR of “rowing back on their public pledges” about the future function of guards.
The operator said it was “committed to finding a solution” to the dispute.
SWR, which runs services in London and Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, the Isle of Wight and Somerset, has been in dispute with the RMT since November 2017.
Commuters described their journeys as “utter madness” and a “total mess” at the start of the last strike in June.
The union said its members were “rock solid and united” in supporting the strike.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said members had no choice but to continue the action because of the company’s “unremitting failure” to rule out driver-only operation.
“They are angry and frustrated that SWR have kicked talks into the long grass and failed to bolt down an agreement that will guarantee the role of the guard on the train,” he said.
“Our members believe that they are being mugged off by the company in protracted talks.”
SWR said: “The RMT has always said it wanted us to keep the guard on every train which is what we have offered as part of a framework agreement.
“We want to move the conversation on to how we operate our new trains and take advantage of the new technology on board to benefit our customers.”
By Paul Clifton, BBC South transport correspondent
Over the next four days, a few hundred guards will disrupt services that carry more than 100,000 passengers a day.
If you think you’ve heard it all before – yes, you have – on the 34 previous strike days. Since the first strike back in November 2017, almost nothing has changed.
The company says it will have a guard on every train – including on 750 new carriages that have yet to be built, which will be technically capable of “driver-controlled operation” without a guard.
But the two sides cannot agree about exactly what the guard’s specific duties would be on the new trains.
Two years into this troubled franchise, for passengers things are still not getting better.
The annual Bournemouth Air Festival – which began on Thursday and attracts up to one million people – is one of the weekend events that could be affected by the strike.
Spokeswoman Grace Loveless said: “Obviously we’d like people to take public transport so it’s a bit of a shame, but we do work closely with South Western Railways and they’ll be committed to helping where they can.”